Best Skin Care Routine for Dry and Oily Skin
We all love the skin that glows and looks fresh, young and spotless. In this era of busy schedules and too many workloads, we often fail to give the necessary attention to our skins, and the result is – dull skin that looks aged and quickly falls prey to acne.
It is a necessity to make some time from your jam-packed schedule to take care of your skin. The right way of doing this is to maintain a skin care routine and follow it regularly. This way, you won’t fall out of the system, and you can achieve the skin of your dreams.
Now before you set a skin care routine for you, you need to understand your skin type first. There are three types of skin – dry, oily and combination skin. The type of your skin will lead the way to choose the right skin care products that will suit your skin.
Here in this article, we have included a perfect skincare routine. You can choose the products following your type and preference.
Daily Skin Care Routine
A general and natural skin care routine is described below. So take a look.
Washing Your Face
You might not know how important it is to wash your face daily. If you don’t do it regularly, dirt and oil get to stay on the skin for too long causing breaking up of pores and irritation.
It should be the first thing in your everyday skin care routine to clean up your face at least twice a day. You can use a gentle and subtle soap or a face wash if you want. Organic solvents are the best as they do not contain any harmful materials that may disturb your skin.
Start the day by washing your face for a refreshing feeling all day long. And to finish the day, wash up your face to get rid of the exhaustion along with all the dirt and pollutants that were accompanied with your skin. Washing your face every morning and evening is quite essential for a healthy living.
Using a Facial Toner
People often tend to avoid the step of using a toner after washing or exfoliating their face. Toning your face is very important. When you wash your face with water or a cleanser, the natural balance of pH in the skin gets disturbed.
Our skin secretes a natural oil that goes by the name sebum. The secretion of sebum is vital for the natural balance of your skin. It keeps your skin hydrated and maintains the right pH balance. Too much secretion of sebum can also cause clogged pores.
It is essential to stabilize the secretion of sebum and balance the pH of your skin with a facial toner. For this, you can either opt for an organic toner or any other one according to your choice. It is better to use cotton pads to apply a toner. You can purchase round cotton pads, or you can cut little cotton swabs at your home. Dab the pad in a few drops of the toner and gently rub it around your face.
Hydrating Your Face
Proper hydration is not only essential for your body, but your skin needs it too. After washing up and toning your face, the next step is to hydrate it using any water-based gel or moisturizer.
You should never take the step of moisturizing your face lightly. Whether you have oily or dry skin, moisturizing is essential for skin of all types. You need to buy the right moisturizer suitable for your skin type. Some conventional means of daily moisturizers can be hydrating lotions, creams, serums, facial oil, facial sprays, and aloe vera gel.
You should not overlook your eye areas. Your eyes need hydration too. Try to use an eye cream to moisturize the eye area. You can also use a nighttime eye cream or lotion to keep your eyes moisturized throughout the night.
Using a Sunscreen
It is a step that many of us often tend to overlook. But using a sunscreen during the daytime is equally important like any other steps. After you have washed and tones your face and have applied a moisturizer, you should apply a generous layer of a good sunscreen. Sunscreens protect your skin from the harmful UV rays and prevent serious skin problems. While purchasing a sunscreen for your skin, try to buy one that covers a broad spectrum. Also, try to use beauty products that contain SPF in them.
Weekly or Monthly Skin Care Routine
The following skin care routine should only be used once every week or month.
Exfoliating Your Face
Our skins are exposed to nature all the time. As we go out or do household chores, we sweat, and glowing skin attracts dust and dirt even more. The environmental pollutants around us get in touch with the skin and tend to block the pores. Dead skin cells can clog the pores of your skin causing acne and other skin problems.
Even if you wash your face regularly with soap, face wash or plenty of waters, some of these unwanted particles make their way through the pores of your skin and clog them. Blocked pores are the main reason behind acne, pimples, skin irritation and other problems. Therefore, you need to exfoliate your skin regularly with a gentle exfoliating product suitable for your skin to get rid of the stubborn particles and dead skin cells.
Using a Face Pack or a Face Mask
You can try using a face mask for your face. There are different kinds of face masks available in the market. Some are made for oily skin while some are suitable only for dry skin types. You will understand your skin type the best, so you can purchase the one that fits your taste and use it to freshen up your face and give it that extra glow.
Face packs are also popular among both the ladies and men these days. You can make a face pack at home with ingredients that you choose. Or you can buy it from stores. Homemade face packs are the best. There can be nothing more soothing than applying a nice layer of homemade face pack filled with natural goodness.
A massage can help improve your skin’s condition. But you should keep in mind that skins are sensitive and so, you must handle your skin carefully. Oil massage should not be on your everyday skincare routine. Instead, you can opt for an oil massage once one or two weeks.
For this, you can choose a few oils of your choice to make a combination and massage your face with it. Keep your skin type in mind while choosing the oil and read all the labels before adding any essential oil to the mixture.
Some essential oils suitable for oily skin are- tea tree oil, rosemary oil, lavender oil, and fennel oil.
For dry skin, you can try the following essential oils – lavender oil, geranium oil, carrot seed oil, myrrh oil, and frankincense oil.
Some people like to use facial oil after washing or exfoliating their face to hydrate it. This may work for some, but people with oily skin should be careful while choosing any facial oil for their skin.
Some additional tips for oily and dry skin types
For Oily Skin
- Even though it is said that oily skin types are the best to fight early aging of the skin, they come with loads of skin problems too. Oily skin tends to secrete oil more often than dry or combination skin. As we know too much of nothing is healthy; too much sebum can seriously harm your skin.
- Try to keep a packet of fresh wipes or wet tissues with you when you go out. Wipe your face off when you sweat too much.
- You can also use a dry tissue to merely soak up the excess oil from the oily zones of your face.
- Water is essential for all types of skin. So you should drink a lot of water throughout the day to hydrate your skin from the inside.
- Avoid oily and deep fried foods. These will worsen the condition of an oily skin problem.
- Include healthy fruits and vegetables in your diet that will help curb the excess oil production and maintain the balance.
For Dry Skin
- If you have dry skin, you should never take moisturizing your face lightly. Though hydration is equally crucial for surfaces of all types, a person with dry skin may encounter patchy and flaky skin problems if she does not moisturize her face regularly.
- You should never rub your face too hard while using a scrub. Rubbing too vigorously can cause flakiness of the skin.
- Dry skin is more likely to fall prey to allergies and skin irritations. So you should always keep your skin hydrated.
- The real nutrition comes from your inner body. A healthy food habit can bring a massive change in the way your skin feels and looks. Follow a healthy diet including lots of fresh fruits and vegetables to enjoy healthy skin that glows.
- Try to drink an ample amount of fresh water throughout the day. Water hydrates your skin from within.
Some Precautions for You
- Choosing the right products for your skin is crucial. Sometimes, a wrong selection of products can do more harm than anything else. Therefore, run a thorough investigation before you purchase a product from a market or online. Even if the product is an organic one, make sure that the ingredients on the list suit your skin well and then purchase it.
- It is usual for your skin to be allergic to certain ingredients of nature. Before picking a product, check if it contains any ingredient that you may be allergic to.
- After using a product, if you feel any kind of uneasiness or irritation on your skin, quickly rinse off with good splashes of water and refrain yourself from using that same product again.
- Try to always keep an umbrella, a bottle of water and shades with you when you go out. You never know when you may need any of these.
- Never skip the step of using sunscreen before going out in the skin.
- If you are up for using essential oil as an ingredient in your skin care regimen, read the labels carefully beforehand.
- Maintain a healthy diet, keep your body and face clean and shower daily.
Q 1: Is it safe to include essential oil in a daily skincare routine?
A 1: Though essential oils are mostly safe to the skin, it is not suggested to use it daily. You can certainly include one or more essential oils in your weekly or monthly skincare routine. While some essential oils are completely safe for daily use, you should research thoroughly before using it every day.
Q 2: Can you exfoliate your skin daily?
A 2: We won’t suggest you exfoliate your skin daily. There are different kinds of skin. Some skin types are strong enough to handle regular exfoliation. But it is not suitable for sensitive skin types. So before making exfoliation a daily habit, first study your skin type well.
Q 3: What is the best way for exfoliating treatments?
A 3: The best result will come from exfoliating your skin two to three times a week. This is the most suitable for normal to combination skin types. If you have sensitive skin, you should do this only once a week.
Q 4: What are the impacts of over-exfoliation?
A 4: Over exfoliation of your skin can lead to premature aging, inflammation, and irritation of the skin.
The goal is not to achieve picture-perfect skin but to have a lively one that feels good. A skin care routine can vary with your choice of products and availability of time. But don’t forget to care for your skin regularly to avoid skin problems and irritation. We hope the skincare routines and tips described above can come to your help. Take good care of your skin and feel confident.